Monday, January 10, 2011

Post X-mas

So I've covered Xmas night, and now the day after, I'll get to Christmas day eventually!

The day after Christmas, the kids and I, plus G and Meg's BFFs, headed to Tokyo for some shopping and to take in the Constellation exhibit at the Mori Art Museum in Roppongi Hills.

Our first stop was Shakey's Pizza.  My fave of all faves restaurant.  We scoffed back way too much pizza (including some pudding, chocolate sauce and marshmallow pizza! Oishii!) and headed for the KiddieLand toy store.  The permanent store is 6 floors of toy awesomeness, but it's currently being renovated, so they've opened a temp store around the corner.

After less than 24 hours, Gabi's Xmas money was burning a hole in her pocket so we headed for H&M and Forever 21 in Omotesando.  She found quite a bit of stuff, cute and on sale.  Score!  She was quite pleased with herself, only to realize 6 blocks and 2 train stops away that she'd lost her shopping bag.  M, E, BFF and I were already in Roppongi headed to meet up with Gina and her kiddos for the exhibit.  G re-traced her steps but never found her bag :(  She left her name and number with the clerks at both stores, but to date, we haven't heard anything on the MIA loot.

We met up with Gina, James and Alexa and quickly decided that none of the kids (the teens more than the toddlers) were interested in the constellation exhibit, so we decided to head up to Tokyo City View in Mori Tower.  Not a single person, with the exception of me, was impressed with the expansive views of Tokyo sprawled out below us.  How is that even possible?  I NEVER get tired of that view!  I've lost count of the number of times I've taken in that view, and from so many vantage points:  Tokyo Tower, Mori Tower, the Docomo building, the TMG building.....I could literally sit for hours just taking it in.

The boys romped and played for awhile, Alexa slept, we snapped the obligatory pix, Gina and I chatted for not nearly long enough, and then it was time to go.  Gina and co had had a really jammed packed weekend and her kids were exhausted, mine were bored and hungry so we figured it was only a matter of time before we hit the melt-down zone.

The kids and I headed up the block to TGI Fridays for more yummy food, before finally heading home.

It was a nice day, it really helped with the ever-so-anti-climatic day after Christmas.



Meg and BFF



James and Ethan


I will never EVER get tired of this view!!


E studying his newest Lego book at dinner


E dancing to the music in his head, and the girls playing charades on the train.  
(Our stop on this line is the next to the last one, so we're always among the very last ones on the train and usually end up with a car to ourselves, cause nobody wants to be near with gaijin freaks!)

3 comments:

Cecilia said...

I love the view from there too... I can't believe they were underwhelmed...

Too bad about the shopping bag. :(

shinshu life said...

Until I went to Uni I lived on a small island with no trains and no buildings over three stories high so the tokyo skyscape always fascinates me. I had a minor blue with my sister when she was visiting as we had gone up TMG in the morning but it was cloudy. It clared up and I wanted to go back and do it again while she was three floors up and still climbing in a Shibuya funky department store...

And trains? still love them!

Chrysanthemum Mum said...

Great pics, Bryn! I particularly like the charades on the train one lol! I wish I had photographed James the day he was doing Ken Shimura's "hen na ojisan" routine on the train for a couple of old dears.

Unfortunately, My kids are still at the age where feeding the ducks and blowing bubbles is the best way to spend an afternoon and not admiring the view from a skyscraper. :(

We'll have to meet up again sometime soon.