Wednesday, March 11, 2009

TFAM

Today after class, I went to the Tokyo Fuji Art Museum with a few of my students. One students' husband is a professor at Soka University, which is some how affiliated with the museum, so he got free tickets to an exhibit my students really wanted to see.
>
I felt like a total dork because a) I had no idea there was a major art museum less than 20 min from my house and 2) I had no idea there was a major university here too.
>
Anyhoo, on to the museum. Let me get this out of the way first: I hate art museums. Walking around staring at a bunch of paintings and sculptures and vases and blah, blah, blah, bores the snot out of me. Seriously. Even in Paris, I opted to skip the Louvre to go shopping, while everyone else spent the afternoon with David and Mona Lisa. Yes, I'm an uncultured, uncouth bafoon. Sue me. I like my culture more.....alive. I love the opera and poetry readings, plays and orchestra concerts, I love the ballet. But museums? Especially ones with old junk on exhibit..............I'd rather jab my eyes out with a fork.
>
But, my students really wanted me to go with them, and I really enjoy their company, plus the exhibit centered on Mt. Fuji, so I hoped it might be interesting and figured I could suck it up for an hour or two.
>
We had lunch at the fru-fru museum cafe, and it was pretty tasty. I had a yummy ham & cheese panini and delicious cup of hot cocoa.
>
We strolled through the exhibit, the paintings were nice enough, and I actually enjoyed the display of old bentos. The ladies were furiously scribbling notes about............? I have no idea what, so I was furiously scribbling.........my grocery list, when a museum employee slipped up behind us and discreetly scolded us for using ink pens in the museum. Huh? Apparently you're only allowed to use pencils in there. Hmmmm, couldn't figure that one out. And I totally lucked out, the exhibit was really small and we were in and out in 30 min! Score!
>
It turned out to be a really nice afternoon and I'm glad I went.
>
>
>

2 comments:

Alisa said...

i had to chuckle when i read about the eye's being stabbed w/ forks... LMAO!!!
and the pen's VS pencil issue! odd!
haha... I am sure the company was worth the outing. :)

Bryn said...

I always have a good time w/ those students, we do a lot of stuff outside of class, no matter what we do, we always have fun.