Tuesday, September 16, 2008

More food!

Yesterday I went out to lunch with my friend Zina to Bamiyan, a popular Chinese food chain. I've eaten there several times and it's always yummy.
>


The big, pink peach is the Bamiyan logo
>
>


Lots of choices. There were two more pages of menu. On the bottom right are gyozas and shrimp rolls, which they have instead of egg rolls.



Lots of Japanese restaurants have these service bells at the tables. Ring it anytime you need your waitress. And at nearly every restaurant the waitress takes your order on a little electronic menu pad thingy, like a PDA, that transmits your order to the kitchen.
>
>

Typically there are no free refills on soft drinks, unless you're at a place that has a "drink bar" option, which you can order for unlimited, self-serve drinks. And soda glasses are always ridiculously small by U.S. standards.
>
>

Typical table set-up. As you probably figured, those are chopsticks in the cup.
>
>

My lunch.

Fried rice, ramen topped w/ tofu and seaweed and two steamed dumplings for Y841.


Sadly, I can't yet tell the difference between Japanese food and Chinese food, it really all seems the same to me. But I can tell you that Chinese food in Japan in nothing like Chinese food in America. No General Tso's chicken, no egg rolls.

>

No comments: