Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Kendo

Last Sunday I took the train to Ayase, to the Tokyo Budokan, for a Kendo tournament. Kendo is the very traditional martial arts form of sword fighting using wooden swords. One of my students, Akemi, was competing in the women's competition. It was the first time I had ever seen kendo and the first time I seen any sort martial arts comepetion.

>


Tokyo Budokan
>

Female competitors in Akemi's age class

>

Akemi (far right) waiting for her 3rd round to begin
>
>>
Akemi in her 3rd round
>
After her competion. She won 1 round and lost 2.

>

Winning her first round
>
>
There were 5 competions going on simultaneously, apparently it's good form to scream like a banshee, I guess to intimidate your opponent? It was weird to hear those shrieks coming from Akemi, she normally so shy and reserved. It was really interesting and I had a good time.
>

No comments: