Saturday, July 19, 2008

And the Lost is Found

Okay, it wasn't really lost, it just wasn't where we wanted to be.

Last week the girls and I took the train to Shinjuku where I know for a fact there is a Shakey's. And it's the same Shakey's I ate at as a kid!

Quick recap: Gabi and I went to Shinjuku not too long after we moved here to check out the Tokyo Metropolitan Government buildings. We hiked around the city for hours, and were starving just as we were about to cross the street, heading for McD's, I saw the sign for Shakey's Pizza. I had absolutely no idea it was still there and hadn't even thought about Shakey's in YEARS! I still can't believe that out of the entire, sprawling metropolis that is Shinjuku (see below) we landed right on the door step of my favorite restaurant from 30 years ago! Weird.


This Shakey's is in the basement of a building on Shinjuku Dori, along with an Indian restaurant and another food place.




>
>
Yesterday, we headed back again, bringing Meg with us this time. Both girls are a little weirded out by Japanese pizza toppings, and really just wanted a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese, but they both found flavors they liked, including the chocolate, marshmallow dessert pizza.
On the menu (but not on my plate): shrimp and mayonaise pizza , cuttle fish and onion pizza, octopus pizza, corn pizza (very popular in Japan) and all-you-can-eat curry and rice.
>
>
>
>

>
>

>
(Check out the size of the coke!!! Without a doubt these were the biggest sodas I've ever seen in Japan, and sadly they're totally out-of-the-ordinary)



No comments: