Wednesday, March 25, 2009

George Washington and General Tso

Last week (or was it the week before?), I took myself down to Yokosuka for a little retail and culinary therapy.
>
I've posted before about how much better the shopping and food options are on the Navy base than they are here, and I just love everything about the base and the area. I love, love, love that it's on the water (the one thing I really miss about living FL).
>
I hit the NEX (base department store) first, they carry the make-up and hair products I like, but can't get up here, as well as a better selection of undies and socks. And then, there's the shoe department. Our's is a tiny little corner in the very back of the store, Yokosuka's is easily 4 times that size, with 10 times the selection.
>
Next I headed to Chili's. I don't crave American food as badly as I used to, feeling like I'd die if I didn't get a blue cheese burger and garlic mashed potatoes every week. But I still love Chili's and am happy to have it whenever I can.
>

I love the Yokosuka Chili's because it sits right on the water.
>

The view from my table

>

I'll put this out there right now, before you scroll any further: I made a total and complete hog of myself! In my defense, in preparation for this binge, I ate very little dinner the night before, and had no breakfast, so I was totally starving by the time I got there. And I ended up taking more than half of it home, to finish over the next 2 days. So it really wasn't as bad as it seems!

>

The orange goop in the bowl is Skillet Queso dip, basically melted cheese mixed with chili. It's one of my two most favorite things at Chili's, I've gotten it every single time I've ever been to Chili's. I also had honey bbq ribs and sirloin, garlic mashed potatoes and fries (w/ honey mustard for dipping)

>

This is my absolute favorite food in the world. A hot fudge brownie sundae, in any variation or flavor. The one at Chili's is absolutely divine, it's called Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie. I ate every scrumptious bite, nearly licked the plate! Ooooohhh, I'm drooling just looking at it!

>

After stuffing my face, I rolled myself out to the van, and took a drive around the base.

>

Hooray! The USS George Washington was in port! The GW is a Nimitz class nuclear-powered supercarrier (the largest aircraft carriers in the world)

>

I see these subs every time, or at least some subs, not sure if it's always these, but had never gotten up close. I was surprised to see that they were Japanese submarines.

>

>

Before I left I also stopped a LJS, Otis' fave, and got him two fish combo meals, one for now, one for later.

>

>

And I stopped at the Manchu Wok to stock up on American Chinese food. For those who don't know, American Chinese food is very different from Japanese Chinese food, or Chinese Chinese food. It's more...fast-foody, it's sweeter and has loads more sauce (you can never have too much sauce!). I got General Tso's chicken, sesame chicken, orange chicken, black pepper chicken, 3 orders of lo mein and 6 egg rolls (fast food Chinese egg rolls are the BEST!) This all lasted nearly a week, Gabi took some to school for lunch several times, so did E and we had it for dinner a time or two.

>

>

I can't wait to go back in May for Girl Scout training!
>
>
>

7 comments:

Luminata said...

Tasty! =))

Luminata

Alisa said...

OMG!!
You & I will get along Perrrrrrrrrrrfect!
LMAO!
What a GREAT trip!
:(
I wish i would have gotton your post in time!
Next time......
We will stuff out faces @ Chili's ... then raid the food court, after shopping shopping shopping!

FYI... have you ever rode the free bus around the base?
You can get good photo's of the ships/subs and such. :) It's kinda fun... when you just move here/dont live here. :)

Bryn said...

Yay! An eater after my own heart! LOL I didn't know there was a shuttle bus, I'll definitely check it out next time! Thanks!

Sara said...

Yumm.... I hope that your offer to visit still stands... isn't Chili'S the place with the Southwest Eggrolls... those are SO. DAMN. GOOD.

I'm living vicariously through you!

Bryn said...

Mi Chili's es su Chili's! LOL Yeah, they have the SW egg rolls, soooo yum!

Our Chili's is scheduled to open in Sept - Oct this year (after 5 years of planning and broken promises, and 7 mths of delays!) So you'll be moving just in time!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Bryn said...

Oh Anon, flattery will get you everywhere! Thank you!