Monday, March 2, 2009

Extra! Extra!

This month, in honor of Black History month (for all you pc'ers out there that's also African American Heritage month) Gabi's drama class had to prepare monologues about an influential African American during the ending of slavery. Gabi did some research and chose to do her monologue on Elizabeth Keckley. Don't worry, I'd never heard of her either.

Gabi decided to do her monologue in first person, speaking as if she was Elizabeth Keckley. Her drama teacher chose 3 students to present their monologues at the Black History month celebration last Friday, and Gabi was one of them. I couldn't go because I had to teach, but I've heard from lots of people that she did a really great job.

She was highlighted in an article about the celebration in today's paper:

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=61056

This is a vast improvement over her Black History project in the 1st grade. That year, the assignment was to write about what you would do if you were Abraham Lincoln. Gabi's plan: "I would chop off the heads of all the people who owned slaves." That was also the year she really understood that she was bi-racial, and exactly what that meant; she asked me "Since I'm black and white, does that mean in slavery days, some of my family owned some of my other family?"
>
>
>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Gabi's presentation this year! Personally, I'm kind of partial to her first grade presentation... out of the mouths of babes, right? I literally laughed out loud when I read that. FABULOUS!

Bryn said...

Thanks Kassia! She used to come up with some pretty off the wall stuff! Even at nearly 15, sometimes she still comes up with things that just make me shake my head and laugh.