Sunday, September 7, 2008

2008 Friendship Festival

August 23 - 24 was the 58th annual Yokota Friendship Festival. The base opens its gates to the Japanese community and there are tons of booths selling all kinds of food, trinkets, etc., static aircraft displays and two stages of entertainment showcasing everything from martial arts to Japanese punk rock.

I vividly remember going to the FF 30 + years ago and I'm so unbelieveably happy to be able to not only go again, but to take my own children as well.

The Girl Scouts had a game booth and were selling t-shirts and patches, the girls and I worked the booth for about 8 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday.

Last year about 120,000 people came to the festival, I haven't heard a number for this year, but it was probably a bit less because it rained non-stop for the entire two days. It was still pretty crowded and they shot the fireworks off in the rain. But we had a good time and ate lots of yummy food. Our booth was right next to the damn funnel cake booth! I LOVE FUNNEL CAKE! So you can probably imagine how that went.



Okinawa Eisa Daiko

>

Gabi rockin' out to a Japanese punk rock band

>

San Joy dance troop

>

Meg and San Joy

>

Our very own United States Air Force Band of the Pacific. They are so awesome, I love seeing them every chance I get.

>


>


>

I don't know why, but I was totally crushing on this flag guy! That flag was huge and he was just whipping it around like it was nothing. But he was working really hard, his muscles were all rippley and he was all sweaty and glistening.........uh, yeah

>

Gabi watching the fireworks.

No comments: