Friday, March 7, 2008

10,000 Steps to a Healthier Me. Not.

I REALLY, REALLY need to get active, not just to lose weight (though lord knows I definitely need to do that), but more for getting healthy. Let's face it, I'm not going to be 25 forever! So I decided to start with what I thought would be an easy excercise routine: walking 10,000 steps a day.

I walk ALOT already, both for excercise (at a minimum I drag my butt around the block after putting Ethan on the bus) and I walk on errands too, parking at a central location on base and hoofing it to the post office, bank, library, etc. So I was sure that 10,000 steps wouldn't be a big deal. WRONG! Even with extra effort I'm barely making 6,000 steps! One day this week I made it to 9,868, but that included walking in place while I was folding laundry and pacing back and forth on the sidewalk for 10 minutes while waiting for E's bus. 10,000 steps equals about 5 miles, which I thought I could easily do. I'm going to stick with it though, it will just require a bit more effort (which I was really hoping to avoid) than I thought.

No comments: